Every once in a while, if you’re me, someone asks you what your favorite word is. Maybe it’s Princeton’s supplement to the Common App. Maybe it’s your obsessive brain at 2 a.m. And, if you’re me, you never know what to say to Princeton or to your 2 a.m. brain.
Well, future Mimsy, and anyone else who is wondering: I started keeping track. And I came up with a lot of words. All over the past week. This may be the first part of a multipart series, because I certainly didn’t thoroughly thumb any dictionary to come up with this collection. No, these are just those words that popped into my head at odd moments, generally sometime between 1 and 3 in the morning.
If you’re here looking for answers to the Princeton Common App addendum: Move on. These words are taken
If, however, you’re searching for some sweet nothings to whisper in the ear of your little grey cells, borrow liberally and without shame. The night is dark and full of terrors.
- besotted: “DRUNK IN LOOOOVE”-Beyonce
- forlorn: Someone give them back their lorn!
- frisson: Ooooo, can you feel it?
- infantile: Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, the great big greedy nincompoop
- salty: As in “All these flavors and you choose to be salty”
- tangible: I was so proud when I learned this word from A Wrinkle in Time during elementary.