It’s been a nice week- I hope on your end as well!
I’ve started picking up little things for my birthday (July 25th, mark your calendars!) and researching the tons of things that need to be done before I can… move to France? It would be easier to focus on the immediacy of the things that need to be done if this whole situation felt a bit less unlikely. But I am living in a dream world and apparently I still need a visa.
So what’s happening in the big wide world?
Well, I’ve signed up to Instagram and have been *gasp* preferring it over Pinterest, in terms of sources for inspirational material. @constancesuze, if you’re curious (which I don’t see why you would be because I haven’t posted anything). Curious about the username? It’s all part of my growing fondness for my full name- my full first name and my middle name. Which I was never exactly down on but I’ve always gone as just Connie. But both my first and middle are easily ‘Frenchified’- which makes me Constance Suzanne. Which is really quite pretty, when I think about it. (My middle name comes from my mother’s sister- whom I love very much! We’re alike in some fairly strange ways…)
Anyway, I should stop talking about myself and start talking about links. Which, because I selected them still say something about me (but less obnoxiously).
- It’s a book about legendary authors and the clothes they wore. It goes without saying- I need to read it. (Release on July 27, featuring Joan Didion, Truman Capote, Colette, and Maya Angelou).
- Muslim Slam Poet: “If you need me to prove my humanity, I’m not the one who’s not human.” Powerful.
- A big book list! How many have you read?
- Garance Dore’s meditation on the changes her life has taken, on staying true to yourself even when you’re going through profound life changes.
Something tells me I might need some of her wisdom soon.
“The important thing is this: to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.” By Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
- This profile of “Japanese Beyonce” Naomi Watanabe is a sight above Vogue’s usual makeup GRWM (get ready with me) videos. Her character and energy is infectious and hilarious.
- On the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Andy Serkis reads Trump tweets in a Gollum voice. While crouching on his chair.
“What is covfefe, precious?”
- The difficulties of translating Donald Trump, and how it influences his popularity around the world. Poor interpreters.
- On McSweeney’s: Donald Trump Jr. Reviews Works of Literature. You know its satire because he reads.
- On Reductress: How to Serve Face When Yours Looks Like a Sweet Baby Spaghetti Squash. I relate.
- Usually I get my vicarious fun following the adventures of Florida Man, but only yesterday Texas Man found himself trapped inside an ATM.
I googled ‘Massachusetts Man’ and the first thing to come up was: ” A Massachusetts man has gotten drivers to slow down for years with the help of a life-sized cutout of a police cruiser posted in his driveway.”