It’s a Saturday edition of the regular Friday links post, which you could look at as a very exciting new development or just sad evidence of my disorganization.
Truthfully, it’s neither: I’m visiting Lily this weekend and we were very wrapped up in seeing each other again (it’s been two whole months, which is a lot when you’ve just been living with someone for four years!) and the rediscovery of the film, A Bug’s Life.
A Bug’s Life was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, but watching it as an adult (for the first time!) has had a lot of unanticipated results. 1) I can’t help but recognize how far computer animation has come. It’s much more detailed now. 2)A Bug’s Life is basically a mashup of Aesop’s Fable (The Ant and the Grasshopper) and the classic film The Seven Samurai. Who knew? (Not three year old me).
So characteristically I’m up ‘early’, which gives me a little time to dash off a belated links post before Lily wakes up.
- Ballerinas are pretty incredible. And the reactions of the other dancers in the background makes this video. Or it did until I realized the ballerina being recorded is Whitney Jensen, who I’ve seen with Boston Ballet, back when I was a groupie.
- Giving birth is a universal human experience, but it differs so much across cultures and regions.
- In case you have ample money to lay down on home fragrance, these luxurious alabastron sets from Buly 1803 are actually very cool. (I would go with Generaux d’Empire, I think).
- And if you have less than a fortune to spend, Clap Clap at Etsy sells scented greeting cards, with options including favorites of mine like iris and fig.
- Man Repeller pretty much sums up my thoughts on ‘playing hard to get’– don’t play games, just be honest to your standards and don’t put up with people’s bullshit.
- Celine Dion works couture all over Paris. Be right back- downloading the song Daddy Cool.
- McSweeney’s: 11 Ways That I, a White Man, Am Not Privileged. Spoiler: it takes a turn around number four, but if you know McSweeney’s you’ll have seen it coming a mile away.
- A wonderful narrative story about vacation struggles, with some underlying intensely human truths. Us vs. Them, Poolside with My Mother.
- All the ways that climate change is going to make the earth uninhabitable to humans in the not too distant future. Wake up call, may likely do a post dedicated to this topic in the not too distant future.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi- Behind the Scenes, Because I’m pumped.
- There’s a MANOLO BLAHNIK MOVIE COMING!
- The SF Museum of Modern Art will text you art on demand. Potentially one of those rare ‘good uses of technology’.
- A Vivien Leigh auction at Sotheby’s. Can I buy GWTW-era Clark Gable?
- The history of the generation-defining Aiden craze in the baby name world. Super interesting.
- A hilarious post on one man’s reluctant obsession with/addiction to HGTV and its tropes. Been there.
- Applause for the Duke’s Men at Yale, Yale’s first all-male singing group (a cappella, obviously) to abolish gender restrictions. Your move, Whiffenpoofs.