Having missed my scheduled Friday links post yesterday, today’s post will be your belated links installment.
Featuring a lot of politics and a studious neglect of any Taylor Swift-related news.
- As your doctor, I am protesting the removal of your tumor because I don;t want to erase your medical history. Ay, McSweeney’s!
- If you follow Atelier Dore (previously Garance Dore) and have been missing Garance’s posts- it turns out she’s been going through a (frankly harrowing) personal journey of her own. She describes her experience with fertility treatments and interventions for Lenny in this article.
- The ACLU will no longer defend hate groups protesting with firearms. Because no one wants a repeat of the guns and violence at Charlottesville.
- How calling the White Nationalists at Charlottesville ‘Nazis’ distances them from America’s homegrown white supremacist movement. And distances us from culpability.
- Reductress’ guide on staying miserable even though your life is sort of working out. If you’re someone who (like me) is very hard on yourself and has a tendency to self-punish, it’s actually a bit eye-opening.
- Wind River gets the Chris Stuckmann review treatment. Spoiler: he likes it, which is great because I also liked it. Go watch it.
- A movie that I wish weren’t showing in such EXTREMELY LIMITED RELEASE. Justin Chon’s ‘Gook’ shows men of color have feelings too.
- A Party Icebreaker: Who is your celebrity look-alike?
- Beautiful glass and crystal chili pepper earrings. Still not piercing my ears.
- Fran Leibowitz on “What it’s like to be white”. Really true and perceptive.
- In love with this parody of Dua Lipa’s “New Rules” music video.
- Pick up lines that might actually get your attention: I couldn’t help but notice you’re here all alone. I’d love to keep you company if you’re willing to listen to me talk about my recent trip to the Global Seed Vault on the arctic island of Svalbard for three hours straight.
- A trailer for the first oil paint-animated film, “Loving Vincent”, bout none other than Van Gogh.
- Roxane Gay on thirst, celebrity crushes, and sexual fantasies: There should be little judgment when it comes to lust, however we choose to name it. When we thirst, all we are saying is that, like every living thing, we need water.
- What really happens at a silent disco? Should I add this to my nonexistent bucket list?