For once a list that could be inspired by Baby Driver but in fact, isn’t.
Actually, I watched The Pianist for the first time today and was kind of blown away. I highly recommend seeing it, if you haven’t already.
It got me to thinking about one of those bizarre self-defined genres that really appeals to me, a musically inclined but essentially nonmusical person. Films in which music plays a very important role. But films that aren’t musicals.
I don’t pretend I’ve see all of the films in this corner, but here’s what I’ve got under my belt so far.
- Whiplash: Music and obsession.
- Baby Driver: Just because it’s not the inspiration doesn’t mean it’s not on the list.
- The Piano Teacher: Risque.
- The Pianist
- Les Trois Couleurs: Bleu
- Gloomy Sunday
- The Double Life of Veronique
- Amadeus: Mozart vs Salieri
- La Vie en Rose: A biopic of one of my favorite musicians, Edith Piaf.
- Walk the Line: And Johnny Cash.
- Fantasia: Hard to argue with that.
- Les Choristes
- Edited to add: Tous les Matins du Monde
Movies that might count that I haven’t seen yet: Ray, A Late Quartet, and Shoot the Piano Player.
2 thoughts on “Music-Centric Films (Non-Musical)”
Whiplash is one of my favourite films, amazing movie! Great list though. What did you think of Amadeus?
LikeLiked by 1 person
These are all favorites of mine!
I think Amadeus is beautiful. Also a big fan of the play it’s based on. 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people