Fuck, that’s scary.
Lots of links, though!
- I think I’m just going to lump all of the exciting trailers together.
Marshall, the Thurgood Marshall biopic, looks kind of amusingly badass. I was at the theater this week (indulging in Tulip Fever-type guilty pleasure viewings) and loved the subtitle: “Live Hard. Fight Harder.”
The Man Who Invented Christmas, about Charles Dickens’ writing of A Christmas Carol, looks cute. I’m always up for a new Christmas film (as long as it isn’t Bad Mom’s Christmas).
Hostiles looks great. Plus it uses one of my favorite country songs (Yes, I listen to country sometimes- the song is Sleeping on the Blacktop, if you’re interested). Plus Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike. Exciting.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri– an under the radar pic that looks brilliant. Frances McDormand!
Man Vs. Nature in Jungle: Is Daniel Radcliffe doing a French accent?
The Current War– featuring Edison and Tesla, et al. AKA Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Holland (Spiderman). And Michael Shannon! I want the subtitle to be ‘Get Lit’ or ‘It’s Lit’ or some variation thereof.
- If you are a habitual viewer of The Bachelorette or were an excited anticipator of that boxing match that I know nothing about- I recommend this article from the New York Times: In Movies and TV, Racism Made Plain. Or, you know, just read it anyway because racism in mainstream media is in no way restricted to these two specific franchises, but is instead a systemic problem deeply ingrained in all parts of our culture.
- Science coming in clutch to back up my Ice Cream Brunch tradition.
- You’ve probably heard that the Duchess of Cambridge is expecting again. The name world is in a frenzy and predictions are being made. Anyone making bets?
- In time for New York Fashion Week: diverse models discussing racism and mistreatment in the fashion industry. I wish the article had taken care to also represent Asian women.
- In praise of a quiet life defined by personal contentment rather than outstanding success. I need to read Middlemarch still.
- New board game, Secret Hitler, becomes a hit. You know, so you can spend MORE time arguing about whether a friend is a fascist or just a liberal who wants to watch the world burn.
- Watching Stephen Colbert interview Graham Norton about interviewing celebrities is actually pretty fascinating.
- Trump ends DACA: here’s what you can do.
- Unless you want more babies named Jennifer and Jason, it’s time to stop the name-shaming. Besides, Beyonce’s a grown woman and can make her own decisions.
- I’m going to be in France and I want to go to the Irving Penn exhibit. After I hit the Dior retrospective.
- In case you’re still unsure about what the hell I’m doing: 7 Things You May Not Know About Perfumery and Scent Design.
- And now for a funny: “PISS IN THE FROG’S MOUTH LIKE A MEN!!”