I was too busy shopping. Whoops.
But the good news is that I now have a pair of winter gloves (that lack was getting a bit problematic in this negative Fahrenheit New England paradise. Even in France I had some trouble with my keys and doors).
And also a pair of fishnet socks, because not everything can be practical.
- condiment: a spice, sauce, or preparation added to food to give flavor
- calcify: to get all calcium-y
- cajole: this is a word with so much imagery behind it, for me. Kind of like guffaw.
- nematode: ‘Sa worm
- toff: pejorative British slang for the overly aristocratic/pretentious/landed gentry. A very Britishly British insult. In the US we don’t even have landed gentry.
- peccadillo: a small and trivial offense, not to be confused with the very inoffensive armadillo
- glaucous: dull grayish green or blue color. Also the powdery bloom on grapes. I like the connection.
- pernicious: credit to Roald Dahl.
- cusp: like Leo on the cusp of Cancer.
- festoon: a chain or garland, more commonly what you do with it.
- égérie: muse