Hi hi hi. I missed the links post last week not because I didn’t have enough to share, just from pure laziness. So it’s a bit heavy on the links today, but I have broken them down into bite-size and easily digestible categories.
- A wince-worthy compilation of Dad Jokes.
- The New Dad: What the evolution of stock photos shows about our changing understanding of paternity and parenthood.
- How ASMR became an internet phenomenon.
- This Parisian restaurant only lets you in with a baby or a bump.
- I’ve been following this illustrator for a long time and now she’s selling some of her prints of Etsy!
- Bumblebees use scent and color patterns to tell flowers apart.
There isn’t even a pun to excuse my French title.
I’m just a pretentious elitist who thinks the French language is beautiful and kind of encompasses what I want to get across? Except of course it doesn’t really get it across because the majority of my readers (hypothetically, if I had readers- really I know it’s mainly Mom and dad out there- hi guys, how you doin’?) speak English, given that this blog is in English.
Given a few weeks for my resolutions to marinate, I’ve come up with some more concrete steps to take to care for myself. And it’s really necessary, given that I seem to have developed a forte for a) burning myself (I mean, I guess. That looks like a burn) and b) falling up/down stairs (is it still a shiner if it’s on your knee?)
So let’s do this!
- Start flossing again. You know how flossing is essentially the first thing to go when you’re tired and/or stressed. Given that I’m tired and/or stressed the majority of the time (sigh, modern life), it’s been a while since I’ve been solidly on the daily oral hygiene bandwagon. On the same note- mouthwash?
- Get a lighter. I have a candle (a beautiful beeswax one that my dad made me for Christmas (again, hi Dad!) and I need to light its fire, as it were. Can you imagine the self-soothing happiness and love from a softly glowing beeswax smell that reminds you of the love of a parental unit?
- Stay hydrated. The world is a broken record when it comes to staying hydrated, but do any of us really listen? I don’t.
- Take care of my feet. Now that I’m not a *competitive dancer* my feet aren’t necessarily a lost cause. In fact, they might even be resuscitated (resuscitable?). The problem is that it’s a bit chilly to not be wearing socks or slippers 24/7 and my feet want to breathe. I’ve noticed that I have some proprioception issues, so even when my feet are warm enough, I don’t tend to notice (which reminds me to take off my slippers now).
- Take my vitamins/supplements again. It’s been years since I took my vitamins regularly, which as a vegan is a bit of a no no. Time to get back on the B12.
- Listen to more music. Now that I’ve confirmed that my 10 year old ipod has not in fact been lost to the winds of time, my horizon of musical possibilities has been reopened.
- Stretch more. Especially during our class breaks. Sitting and smelling from 9-5 gets a bit exhausting for the body. I always feel so much better after I’ve moved a bit.
- Don’t skimp. I have a tendency toward self abnegation, which is a lot less now that I’m not anorexic. But there are still a few things I do that I only really realized recently are related to how I value myself. So I’m going to really use my products for their purposes (i.e. definitely adequate amounts of moisturizer, replacing my contact solution daily, those kinds of luxurious/very necessary things).
- Replace my mascara and eyeliner. My mascara is almost empty and I’m hitting my pan on my MAC pot, which I’ve had since 9th grade anyway (for reference, I’m in 17th grade now). I shouldn’t have that stuff so close to my eyeballs.
- Listen to ASMR before bed if I want.
Happy first Friday of June! It’s hard to believe we’re almost halfway through 2017 already.
And as I know you’re wondering, a brief update my spring summer resolutions:
- Yoga everyday: Successful, but mostly because I’m zealously practicing upside down tree pose (aka, a handstand)
- Dry brushing: Also successful- I’ve dry brushed once every day. It’s been good for my skin I think, especially because it helps me remember to moisturize.
- Daily meditation: Failure. I haven’t meditated since I posted indicated my intent to do so.
And the image above is my new monthly desktop background. Alright, I think that’s all the updates.
Oh, no it’s not, I lied. Excitingly, this May that just ended was the highest-viewed month that List Mimsy has had, tallying at over 1,000 views. Thanks everyone! Continue reading “Friday Links 6/2”
Please excuse my very temporary hiatus- it was caused by the need to spend my meagre writing talent on a certain research paper that I just finished (On the revenant Beloved as a bridge between the divided worlds caused by personal tragedy and the tragic legacy of slavery, ultimately serving to enable reconnection and eventual resolution).
So to ease myself back into the blogging life (and because it’s Friday!), here is your weekly collection of links to odd and exciting internet locations. Continue reading “Friday Fun Links 4/14”
What happened, it’s March? You know how last time I did a list post it was February and I used my new desktop background as the graphic? Same thing this month, I have these fierce kitties tiled and every time I open my computer it’s like a little feline firework.
What’s going on in my life? My Music History midterm went pretty excellently and I’m going home this weekend to check on and take care of my parents… since Dad just got his leg amputated and Mom’s coming down with a sick. And I’m bringing snacks and my indefatigable self.
So links! Continue reading “Lions and Tigers and… March?”
Well, this list will out me for the weird person that I am, if you hadn’t figured it out already. So I don’t spend too many words on it, here’s a quick video to answer the question “What the hell is ASMR?”, so you can know as much about it as everybody else and you’re not one of these clueless people living in need without even knowing it.
I’ve been listening to ASMR regularly for about two or three years now, when it kind of grew naturally out of my weird habit of watching videos of people getting massaged on youtube, which itself had grown naturally out of my weird habit of reading yelp reviews of massage placed while I was in middle school and high school. Honestly I do find it really relaxing and I agree with people who describe it as a ‘massage for your brain.’ If you’re a fan of white noise, I really do recommend checking it out. Continue reading “Favorite ASMRtists”
It’s easy enough to think of ways to treat yourself. But for some reason reality is set up so that money and time both need to be taken into consideration and I can’t elect to mosey across the world to Switzerland for a frangipani scalp massage or even take a quick Mediterranean cruise in the hour before my final exam.
One can’t even do what my Dad seems to like (going to a Russian steam bath and sauna to be beaten with oak leaves) on the daily.
So what can one do to coax away the stress? Continue reading “A Little R&R”