I feel like the internet at large has turned into a howling/stomping ground of enraged fans (or maybe it’s just what you run into once you start getting into following film news)- and I hate to be the one to add to that mess. But I get so few chances to be an angry neckbeard (given that I’m pretty flush with estrogen) I figured that this was my moment.
That, and the fact that this trailer is blasphemous.
Why? You ask?
I’m no big fan of the original Dumbo. Actually, if you’ve read this blog for any period of time you might be aware that I can’t heard the song Baby Mine without sobbing. And that’s not the only seen of the movie that drives me to tears. Add to that the not-so-subtle racism with the jazzy crows and laborer roustabouts, and I can’t really say that the film is vindicated by excellent songs such as ‘Casey Junior’ (the train song), ‘Song of the Roustabouts’ (kind of hardcore for the House of Mouse), and ‘Pink Elephants on Parade’ (in which Dumbo gets drunk and hallucinates). No lie, I like all these songs.
But this film promises to one-up (one-down?) my feelings about the original Dumbo with a response of disgusted and mildly enraged ennui.
- Disney needs to stop making live action remakes. I haven’t liked any of them (maybe you have, if so, sorry) because they’re such bare-faced and obnoxious cash grabs that lose any sincerity of the originals in favor of extensive CGI and poor writing.
- Where is TIMOTHY MOUSE?!
- What the fuck is Colin Firth doing in here?
- Why are these humans… sympathetic? The human world of Dumbo is supposed to be harsh and foreign.
- Get rid of these simpering children.
- What on earth is this 50 Shades of Grey-esque cover of Baby Mine?
- This is a teaser trailer and it’s full trailer length.
- Ugh, it looks so Tim Burton. The only thing that would make it more Tim Burton is Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp.
Guys, I’m not going to go see it. I only made it through Beauty and the Beast because I was on a plane. I failed to make it through The Jungle Book and Cinderella. Haven’t seen Maleficent.