Due to a weekend-trip hiatus (NYC was great, thanks), this links post is a bit later than usual. Coincidentally, many of these links seem to have a bit of an LGBTQ theme.
Let’s get the smell stuff out of the way first:
- Auklets are a bird species in which males demonstrate fitness not only by very fancy and sexy crests, but seemingly also by emitting a strong tangerine scent, research finds.
- Study finds that activation of a certain smell receptor speeds the progression of prostate cancer, suggesting new treatment methods via blocking of the receptor.
- Department stores reevaluate traditional beauty and fragrance marketing techniques as the beauty industry changes.
All the feels:
- One of the best things about the cultural shift toward acceptance of LGBTQ lifestyles (beyond thousands of people being able to live their truth) is the uptick in adorable stories like this.
- This animated short made me cry.
- If babies wrote travel reviews, too funny.
- You may have hard of the Post-Western- are we living in the age of the Post-Hero?
- DC vs Marvel action scenes (and why Marvel’s are so much better). Despite not being a fan of either company, I thought this was a very interesting analysis.
- The Power of the Vampire Myth
- Why Solo isn’t doing as well as previous Star Wars films.
- A comedy bit about Mamoudou Gassama, France’s immigrant hero (but mostly about the French).
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, and my own interracial relationship.
Odds and Ends: