2012 was a much better year in terms of movies than the one that came before.
My favorites as follows, in no particular order:
- The Secret World of Arrietty: An excellent Studio Ghibli animated film based on the book The Borrowers. A good watch if you, like me, are someone who likes imagining what you would do if you were very very tiny. I blame a childhood spent watching George Shrinks.
- 21 Jump Street: I don’t usually enjoy modern comedies, but this is one of the few exceptions. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are great together, the premise is good, and performances are good all around.
- Moonrise Kingdom: Moonrise Kingdom was my first Wes Anderson movie and one of the first movies where I really realized how amazing the theater experience can be. It’s an aesthetically beautiful movie, a musically beautiful movie, and my enjoyment of it was certainly aided by the freshness of never before having seen Anderson’s particular style of quirk. That all said, it’s one of his best and is probably one of the more important films in my movie-viewing history.
- Rise of the Guardians: This is an underseen, under-rated animated Christmas film that takes place around Easter. Long story short, a group of magical mythical heroes (The Tooth Fairy, Santa, the Easter Bunny, Sandman, and Jack Frost) must team up to protect the children and the hopes and the dreams from Pitch Black/The Bogeyman. The Easter Bunny is Hugh Jackman. Santa/North looks like a very Daddy version of Auguste Rodin. Jack Frost is also hot. Wholesome content.
- Skyfall: I very much like Daniel Craig James Bond and this is one of his better ones (Second to Casino Royale).
- Django Unchained: I used to think I couldn’t stand Quentin Tarantino but have come to a change of opinion, largely through Inglourious Bastards and Django Unchained. I was thinking recently about how some of Tarantino’s movies seem to show a desire to retcon history, to take injustices and rewrite them. I like him best when he plays in this sandbox.
I didn’t see: Monsieur Lazhar, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Magic Mike, Samsara, The Master, Looper, A Late Quartet, or Amour.