I did something kind of dumb- which is, having never had a Tinder in America, I created a profile when I got to France.
It’s been a good way to practice French, truthfully, but also I’m learning (and noticing) some odd things. Fill me in- what’s normal for Tinder and which of these are weird specific to a 40 km radius of Versailles?
- I’ve learned a lot of great but not widely applicable/appropriate words and phrases. Some favorites:
Enculer- to ass fuck
Je te mange le cul- I can eat your ass.
- A guy named Adrien who looks weirdly like Adrien Brody.
I do not mind.
- A lot of Yankees hats.
I DO mind.
- A good number who are mutual friends with friends of mine from college and even high school. It’s a small world after all.
- The stereotypical douchebag look (lots of squinting, a fair amount of pouty lips and duck face, etc.) is alive and well across the Atlantic.
- Someone who said their favorite things are penguins and waffles. Am ready to marry.
- Too much facial hair. Although I do understand this is a matter of opinion.
- A lot of people from this Middle East. I think because I am closer to the Middle East here.
- A lot of guys giving health advice in there profiles. Like “Eat healthfully and live well, strawberries are good for the stomach.”
- So much smoking. So much for living healthfully and strawberries.
- A lot of guys named Quentin…?
- Speaking of names… I never realized there were so many Thibaults. I dig it.
- Also a lot of Mehdis.
Hi! Let’s do a quick rundown on my personal life since last Friday links post. I’ve moved to France.
That was shorter than I expected it to be. Continue reading “Late Links 9/16: Let’s do this thing!”
I guess I just need more cats…
I have a long list (Okay, if I’m being brutally honest here I have Excel spreadsheets) of my favorite baby names, because onomastics and naming has been one of my obscure interests since middle school.
Collecting names that long, you end up with some pretty odd favorites. So I thought I would post a list of names even I would hesitate to saddle a child with (a lot of the names I enjoy would I think set off red flags for others- Edwidge, Ludovica, Odysseo, Faisal- and yes, I did choose those names because they’re some of the hardest to get behind) but this list is for the really out there, or otherwise unacceptable. Continue reading “Names I Shouldn’t Name Babies”
Firstly, thank you for helping me reach 60 followers! I’m very touched that people enjoy reading this blog enough to submit to a never-ending influx of post notifications.
Also I’m picking up my Visa today. And maybe finishing up my tour of the Greater Boston area vegan pizza scene (i.e., three restaurants).
Also also, I may have broken my toe this morning. This has been a summer full of walking into things and burning myself on heating elements. And cooking, but I guess that goes with the heating element part.
So what else is new? Continue reading “Friday Links 8/11”
It’s a Saturday edition of the regular Friday links post, which you could look at as a very exciting new development or just sad evidence of my disorganization.
Truthfully, it’s neither: I’m visiting Lily this weekend and we were very wrapped up in seeing each other again (it’s been two whole months, which is a lot when you’ve just been living with someone for four years!) and the rediscovery of the film, A Bug’s Life.
A Bug’s Life was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, but watching it as an adult (for the first time!) has had a lot of unanticipated results. 1) I can’t help but recognize how far computer animation has come. It’s much more detailed now. 2)A Bug’s Life is basically a mashup of Aesop’s Fable (The Ant and the Grasshopper) and the classic film The Seven Samurai. Who knew? (Not three year old me). Continue reading “Saturday Links July 22”
It’s been a nice week- I hope on your end as well! Continue reading “Friday Links 7/14”