Let’s just roll right in…
I’m going to the airport in about two hours for my flight at 7 pm. And then I’ll get into Charles de Gaulle around 2 am EST, 8 am Paris time. I’m packing banana bread.
And yes, that is my new desktop background.
- Get lost in close ups of LUSH bath bombs with nature sounds in the background for one whole minute (or 10 hours a day live on Lush Player- not recommending that this is what you do with your time, but also not judging.)
- Namenculture‘s first anniversary and a review of 2017 in names. Name of the year? Harvey, for many unsavory reasons.
- Box office winners and losers of 2017. A rosy outlook for 1) Disney and 2) R-rated films. A bit of a polarization here, I think. Although I firmly like both categories!
- I’ve always kind of wanted to explore the Titanic as it would have been before it sank. With the maiden voyage of the Titanic II, it looks like that will be a reality for some people. Seems a bit like the height of hubris to me.
TEN DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
I’m so ready.
Here’s what’s happening:
I did something kind of dumb- which is, having never had a Tinder in America, I created a profile when I got to France.
It’s been a good way to practice French, truthfully, but also I’m learning (and noticing) some odd things. Fill me in- what’s normal for Tinder and which of these are weird specific to a 40 km radius of Versailles?
- I’ve learned a lot of great but not widely applicable/appropriate words and phrases. Some favorites:
Enculer- to ass fuck
Je te mange le cul- I can eat your ass.
- A guy named Adrien who looks weirdly like Adrien Brody.
I do not mind.
- A lot of Yankees hats.
I DO mind.
- A good number who are mutual friends with friends of mine from college and even high school. It’s a small world after all.
- The stereotypical douchebag look (lots of squinting, a fair amount of pouty lips and duck face, etc.) is alive and well across the Atlantic.
- Someone who said their favorite things are penguins and waffles. Am ready to marry.
- Too much facial hair. Although I do understand this is a matter of opinion.
- A lot of people from this Middle East. I think because I am closer to the Middle East here.
- A lot of guys giving health advice in there profiles. Like “Eat healthfully and live well, strawberries are good for the stomach.”
- So much smoking. So much for living healthfully and strawberries.
- A lot of guys named Quentin…?
- Speaking of names… I never realized there were so many Thibaults. I dig it.
- Also a lot of Mehdis.
Hi! Let’s do a quick rundown on my personal life since last Friday links post. I’ve moved to France.
That was shorter than I expected it to be. Continue reading “Late Links 9/16: Let’s do this thing!”
I guess I just need more cats…
I have a long list (Okay, if I’m being brutally honest here I have Excel spreadsheets) of my favorite baby names, because onomastics and naming has been one of my obscure interests since middle school.
Collecting names that long, you end up with some pretty odd favorites. So I thought I would post a list of names even I would hesitate to saddle a child with (a lot of the names I enjoy would I think set off red flags for others- Edwidge, Ludovica, Odysseo, Faisal- and yes, I did choose those names because they’re some of the hardest to get behind) but this list is for the really out there, or otherwise unacceptable. Continue reading “Names I Shouldn’t Name Babies”