It may not be Friday where you are- hell, it’s hardly Friday here- but I’m starting a new (and long) day and will try to get this out of the gate before it becomes impossible. And if this is posted on Saturday, then you will know it was, actually, impossible.
- “It’s time for their to be roles in the ballet where two men can fall in love”. YES!
- Still trying to scrounge up and SNL skits I can find. Here’s Kellyanne Conway as Pennywise the Clown.
- A friend of mine who is also a Yale professor but who was not my professor and who is an amazing, lovely, inspiring woman wrote about her experience at a ten-day silent Vispassana meditation retreat.
- You already know my (very long and involved) feelings on the #MeToo campaign. From Reductress: Woman posts another Facebook status in hopes that men will learn to be human beings.
- A bunch of exhibitions coming up in Paris! What should I go to?
- Are box stalls really the best option for your horse’s health and happiness, or are they designed to reflect what human beings would want, were they horses?
- Is this feminist poem really by a third grader? “I am a church bell, gonging out wrongs and rights and normal nights.”
- A whole new way for me to be antisocial: Are you an introvert, an extrovert, or a Victorian ghost with unfinished business?
- This is so well-written and so funny: Will pumpkin spice destroy us all?
- Instead of saying, “Do not go around lighting people on fire,” we are telling women, “Don’t be flammable.” Men of the world, you are not the weather.
Apologies for the spurious posting but really in a #sorrynotsorry kind of way because I’m in France living my busiest and #bestlife.
I’ll stop with the hashtags now because I’m quickly losing all self respect.
Having missed my scheduled Friday links post yesterday, today’s post will be your belated links installment.
Featuring a lot of politics and a studious neglect of any Taylor Swift-related news. Continue reading “Late For Links: The Last of August”
It’s been a nice week- I hope on your end as well! Continue reading “Friday Links 7/14”
Happy first Friday of June! It’s hard to believe we’re almost halfway through 2017 already.
And as I know you’re wondering, a brief update my spring summer resolutions:
- Yoga everyday: Successful, but mostly because I’m zealously practicing upside down tree pose (aka, a handstand)
- Dry brushing: Also successful- I’ve dry brushed once every day. It’s been good for my skin I think, especially because it helps me remember to moisturize.
- Daily meditation: Failure. I haven’t meditated since I posted indicated my intent to do so.
And the image above is my new monthly desktop background. Alright, I think that’s all the updates.
Oh, no it’s not, I lied. Excitingly, this May that just ended was the highest-viewed month that List Mimsy has had, tallying at over 1,000 views. Thanks everyone! Continue reading “Friday Links 6/2”
A Friday off, it’s just like last semester! Except this time it’s because I’m essentially done with my classes (except for an optional Music History session on Monday (at which I will be) and a mini English conference on Wednesday). It’s really just reading period and exams from here on out.
This is the first time I’m finishing up a year of classes with no guarantee of further classes ahead of me. School has always been a kind of constant expectation, and it’s very weird to, for the first time, not necessarily expect it to continue.
In short, I can feel the encroaching existential dread.
But, with every new milestone (last ballroom show, last day of classes, etc.) I’ve been buying myself a little present, usually about $10 or under. So now I have a new rosewater facial toner which is quite lovely, and a few mL of Tubereuse by Mona di Orio awaiting me at home.
And yes, I know that my rampant consumerism is just a distraction, a search for a false sense of security to stave off my anxiety about my future. But hey, at least, when the breakdown comes, I will smell good and have glowing skin. 😛 Continue reading “Friday Fun Links 4/28”
Converting these to a weekly (rather than monthly) installment was the right idea.
Because there’s a lot of cool things that I want to talk about, but I also don’t want to inundate anyone.
Firstly, the big cool thing that’s happening in my life: my last ballroom dance show is today, probably my last one ever since I don’t really anticipate continuing with it after college. I’m really excited (especially because I have a lot of very sweet family members and friends who have decided to come!), not so nervous (although maybe I should be!), and I’ll post with links to videos once they’re up (and if I don’t mess up in a very embarrassing way- but maybe even if I do).
I kind of swing wildly back and forth between treating myself and being absolutely austere and weirdly self-denying. I’m trying to find a nice middle road while simultaneously training myself out of excessive stress- by buying myself a nice little treat every time I get through something that made me anxious or was a ‘big deal’ (like a job interview, a big test, a deadline, or, you know, a ballroom show). Should I write a list at some point of my mini self-gifts? I’m planning on it.
I also have succeeded in dragging a close friend down the fragrance rabbi hole (well, he’s made his first order from Surrender to Chance, so celebration might be a bit premature- but I think not 😉 ). But more on that later. Continue reading “Friday Fun Links 4/21”