My life is dark and full of terrors but also pretty good. I’m still getting over my stomach bug/food poisoning, my landlords are creatures from the black lagoon, I have an exam tomorrow and an exam on Friday and I am NOT PREPARED (Constance the Perpetually Unready) but I had a lovely time in Spain and Malta over my break.
What can you do?
I woke up at 3 am for my flight back to France and I’m a mess trying to gain the energy to shower and study, but today is Oscar Day and I have some time-sensitive links that should go up. And also procrastination.
- The Personal, First: My Dad broke the world record in indoor rowing for AK amputees over 50 years of age. If he wasn’t officially the coolest before (he was), he certainly is now.
- The perfume oriented:
Scents of place: brains can navigate based solely on smells.
A short short for Diptyque’s fiftieth anniversary and their two new releases.
Hermes is getting in on that sweet sweet Arabian market.
A dream job and a dreamy fragrance collection.
Immortalizing the scents of people and the scents of places.
- Very excited for Love, Simon. Especially after this review (from one of my favorite youtube critics).
- The Scrunchie Renaissance: the much maligned accessory that made a resurgence last summer now has a prominent background role in Oscar-nominated I, Tonya and costs boatloads of money at Balenciaga.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods, in the wake of the Florida shooting, will no longer sell assault style rifles. Good on DSG for not living up to its name.
- Positive Self Talk, an illustration by Mari Andrew.
- Another video from pop Culture Detective! This time on the widespread media trope of ‘stalking for love‘, wherein invasive, coercive, manipulative, and otherwise inappropriate behavior is presented as an endearing aspect of courtship.
- Am I Gay or Straight? On giving yourself the power and permission to be who you are.
- And a toe-dip into tonight’s Oscars:
How Rotten Tomatoes may have radically skewed the Oscars’ Best Picture Race: The demographic ratings trends of the films over time is really fascinating. Also I feel the need to look up past years’ best screenplay winners.
Hollywood stylists are killing red carpet style, an not in a good way. I also blame the internet, which is usually a good move.