There were two movie scenes that really stood out to me as Perfect last year, and a whole bunch of others that stood out to me as Quite Good (the knife umbrella macaron attack in Shadow, anyone?).
The top two scenes were not in movies that made my top ten list (which was actually a top 8 but became a top 9), so I want to share them here to make sure they get the recognition they deserve.
- Willem Dafoe literally cursing Robert Pattinson for insinuating that he (Pattinson) was not fond of his (Dafoe’s) lobster.
- Noah Jupe’s phone conversation with his Mom, where he repeats her side of the conversation to his Dad, and they essentially carry on a screaming/crying match through him.
I’m back in the United States which means I’ve checked out an inappropriate amount of books and movies from the library.
Here’s what they are:
- White Negroes: When Cornrows were in Vogue… and Other Thoughts on Cultural Appropriation, Lauren Michele Jackson
- Women who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype, Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Fantastic Women: 18 Tales of the Surreal and Sublime from Tin House
- Forty Stories, Donald Barthelme
- In the Gloaming: Stories, Alice Elliott Dark
- The Source of Self-Regard: Selected Essays, Speeches, and Meditations, Toni Morrison
- A Village in a Valley, Beverley Nichols
- Pick of the Litter
- Becoming Astrid
- Cold War
- Good Manners
- Land of Mine
- Room 237
- Maria by Callas
- Night Comes On
- Shadow (the one from last year)
- You Were Never Really Here
- Miss Hokusai
- L’Amant Double