I watched the remake of 3:10 to Yuma last weekend and really enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to (insert horrible pun about eating crow/Crowe here). And it made me realize that Russell Crowe is actually a pretty good actor? And one that I kind of enjoy watching?
So I took a trip through his IMDb page to take a quick account of the films he’s done, what I’ve seen, and my final plus/minus sheet.
Watched and enjoyed:
- 3:10 to Yuma: Don’t get me wrong, this film is NOT as good as the original. And they change the ending. But it’s a good film, a good modern Western (and there are so few) (GUYS I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE HOSTILES), and the fact that he plays outlaw Ben Wade with a capability even approaching that of the legendary Glenn Ford… good on you Russ.
- A Beautiful Mind: Math O.O
- Gladiator: “ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!” Reader, I was.
- LA Confidential: Yep, sure.
Watched and didn’t enjoy so much:
- The Nice Guys: Like LA Confidential, but irritating and worse.
- Les Miserables: Les Miserables is a great book. Les Miserables is a great film (1998, Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush). Les Miserables is a great musical. Les Miserables should not be a book turned into a musical turned into a film. It’s not sustainable. Hefty and overdone, tbh.
- The Insider: This was too ‘manly’ for me, honestly. Kind of like Se7en. That should be a separate list. I need to think about what it means to me when I call a film ‘too manly’. Because that’s not a helpful description, but maybe you get me?