More words… in part because it’s a heat wave and I’m languishing, and in another part because I’ve got a list that’s hitting a nice ripe length.
- spruce- Both a noun (the evergreen tree) and a verb (to spruce up)
- philtrum- I used to confuse philtrum and clavicle, when I was young and foolish
- strum- guitar onomatopoeia
- belonging- You can have a sense of belonging and you can also have belongings. Belong-ing.
- badinage- Nothing to do with badgers.
- doughty- Nothing to do with dough.
Every once in a while, if you’re me, someone asks you what your favorite word is. Maybe it’s Princeton’s supplement to the Common App. Maybe it’s your obsessive brain at 2 a.m. And, if you’re me, you never know what to say to Princeton or to your 2 a.m. brain.
Well, future Mimsy, and anyone else who is wondering: I started keeping track. And I came up with a lot of words. All over the past week. This may be the first part of a multipart series, because I certainly didn’t thoroughly thumb any dictionary to come up with this collection. No, these are just those words that popped into my head at odd moments, generally sometime between 1 and 3 in the morning.
If you’re here looking for answers to the Princeton Common App addendum: Move on. These words are taken
If, however, you’re searching for some sweet nothings to whisper in the ear of your little grey cells, borrow liberally and without shame. The night is dark and full of terrors.
Continue reading “A Few Choice Words”