Boy has it been an eventful week. I hope you’re well and taking care of yourself in the best ways you can.
There are a bunch of links this week, some just for fun and some about current events.
- Let’s start on a more carefree note: Loquita is producing 90s themed bath bombs, including this one of Chucky. As if bathrooms weren’t already unreasonably frightening places.
- Why Being Near Water Really Does Make Us Happier. That’s one of the things I’m going to miss when I move- no longer living near a beach.
- This book sounds pretty excellent and this excerpt pretty much sums up one of my favorite life philosophies.
- Janet is a hero only to herself. God, I love kids.
- Vogue’s September issue features the Statue of Liberty (and Jennifer Lawrence). Here’s why conservatives are mad. (Snowflakes.)
- An excellent Twitter thread about the tiki torch rally. Recommended reading.
- A trailer for The Nile Hilton Incident. When Dad was in Egypt he lived very near this hotel. Hoping we can see it together- it looks great.
- Speaking of piquant trailers: Gaza Surf Club looks excellent. “There are surfers in Gaza trying to make sense of their world through the water on one side.”
- This made me laugh. Courtesy of Clickhole (and Lily): 5 Hacks to Get the Most Out of Your Dad. 100% relatable.
- White supremacists “were responsible for 49 homicides in 26 attacks from 2000 to 2016 … more than any other domestic extremist movement.” FBI and DHS warned of a growing threat from white supremacists months ago.
- Kudos to Allure magazine for no longer using the phrase ‘anti-aging’. Every moment we get to age is a moment we get to experience the joy of living and being alive.
- Parenting in Croatia: The communal involvement sounds so lovely- reminds me of the saying ‘it takes a village to raise a child.’
- Nazis Against Nazis: A genius way of handling a nationalist or white supremacist march.
- Hoping to see Logan Lucky this weekend. MovieBob is fast becoming my favorite reviewer. I really appreciate his deeper and more intellectual takes on the themes being addressed in each film, and how well they’re carried off.
- is the new Movie Pass deal too good to be true? It depends on how you feel about people collecting your information.
This is such an interesting discussion, very much recommended if you go to the theater at all.
- Inside Charlottesville with Vice news. Required viewing if you haven’t seen it already.
I hope you have a good weekend.
My grandparents are visiting and I’m going to a counter protest tomorrow. And this evening checking out a new Thai restaurant.